On 6 November 2003, 50 years after the closing of the last breach at Ouwerkerk, the four caissons and the surrounding area were awarded National Monument status by the Minister of the Interior, Johan Remkes , and from that day were known as the National Monument Watersnood 1953 .
In recognition of the importance of this National Monument, the Foundation Caissons Ouwerkerk has changed its name to Foundation National Monument Watersnood 1953 and the articles have been amended accordingly.
Since 2001 a museum was situated in one of the caissons. The focus of this museum has been on commemoration, remembrance and knowledge. Since april 23th 2009 we use all four of the caissons.