The museum tries to portray the circumstances of the flood which occurred on 1 February 1953. It is situated in one of the four caissons that were used to close the last breach in the dike. The closure took place on 6 November 1953. The museum's donors are known as "Friends of the Watersnoodmuseum". They provide considerable assistance and support, and as a result they are allowed free entry.
The caissons that were used came from England and were originally intended for an Allied landing near Ostend in Belgium that never happened. They are owned by the district water board Zeeuwse Eilanden and leased by the Foundation National Monument Watersnood 1953, which manages the museum.
Caissons are actually concrete boats. They are 60 metres long, 20 metres wide and 20 metres high. After they were put in position they were filled with sand, and so now in the museum you walk over 13 metres of sand.
The museum has been able to remain open thanks to the efforts of numerous volunteers.